Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I remember when....

Things haven't always been this way though; my wife and I have moved around a lot for my career, and have been back and forth across the country several times. In 2009 we had the opportunity to spend a year in Victoria, BC with our son E (we only had the one then), living in a company provided rental home. The house the company had rented for us was nothing special but was in a great neighborhood. We were 2 blocks from the beach and about 10 blocks from downtown and the inner harbor. We had only packed a few boxes of clothes and personal belongings, and made due with the furnishings that came with the rental. For a year we lived very simply and without any of our much loved possessions or accumulated belongings. Looking back, it was the best year of my life.

I worked 3 minutes away from our home and with the exception of a few business trips a month, I was home early every day. I had breakfast with my family most days before leaving for work, and occasionally came home for lunch. After work I would meet J and E at the park, the beach or back at the house and we would usually walk down to a local shop to pick up some fresh produce for a nice dinner we would make together. Some days we would just meet up downtown and have a nice meal out together. We had frequent picnics in the park, and seemed to have all the time in the world to spend together.

In 2010 our time in Victoria came to an end and we returned to our house in Ontario, and I returned to the daily commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment